Attack (sometimes shortened to Att or Atk) is a melee combat skill that determines the accuracy of a player's melee attacks. The higher the Attack level, the fewer misses a player will incur. A player's Attack level also determines which weapons he or she can use. Malline:Skill minimum rank Malline:Skill 99s
Attack is primarily trained using the "Accurate" attack style, accessed from the Combat Styles interface. Attack is often overlooked in RuneScape, as PKers generally focus on power rather than accuracy, although people with medium-high defence will generally have the advantage in a situation against a strength pure, even if the person has higher strength, which is why it's essential to train Attack to a high enough level later on. You can also take attack potions to temperaily boost the attack stat.
A formula is used that decides how much experience a player obtains when fighting accurately. If a player hits an opponent, the damage dealt is divided by 2.5 and that amount of experience is given to the Attack skill. For example, if a player hits a 10, then he will receive 4 Attack experience.
Some experience is also given to a player's Constitution level when he deals damage. This experience is given in addition to the Attack experience
Combat training (dummies)Muokkaa
- Players with an Attack level of 1 or above can train on dummies at Lumbridge. You can train on these dummies regardless of your attack level, unlike in Varrock. But these dummies only offer 1xp per hit, so this is not a good alternative.
- Players with an Attack level of 8 or lower can train on dummies at Varrock giving 5xp per hit. It takes 161 hits to go from 0xp to level 8.
- Members with an Attack level of 5 or above, with completion of the Biohazard quest, can train on dummies in the Combat Training Camp.
Dummies are sandbags which players can hit and not risk being dealt damage. Striking a dummy in Varrock gives 5.2 Attack experience. In Lumbridge, striking a dummy gives 0.1 experience. The Varrock dummy does not give any Constitution experience, however the Lumbridge dummy will give a small amount. Dummies can be found in various places across RuneScape, though the most popular places are north of Varrock's east bank and in the tutor building in Lumbridge.
Almost all weapons give players "attack bonuses" to certain attack types. These bonuses can be seen in the Equipment Stats menu, to the right of the inventory menu. Attack bonuses give players advantages as well as disadvantages in combat.
Other attack bonusesMuokkaa
- An amulet of accuracy gives an equipment bonus of +5 to all attack types.
- An amulet of power gives an equipment bonus of +6 to all attack types.
- An amulet of glory gives an equipment bonus of +10 to all attack types. This is member's only.
- The beads of the dead gives +1 in all styles. It is also member's only.
- An amulet of fury gives the same bonuses as the Amulet of Glory in the attack stats, but has more defensive capabilities. It is also member's only.
- A warrior ring gives an equipment bonus of +4 to Slash. It is also member's only.
- Any gloves received as a reward from the Culinaromancer's Chest as a reward from the Recipe for Disaster quest gives substantial attack bonuses in stab, slash and crush; the more expensive, the better the bonuses. Note that each name of the type of glove is assumed by appearance, as Jagex has called the gloves simply "Gloves." All of the gloves below are member's only.
- "Bronze" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +2 in each melee style.
- "Iron" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +3 in each melee style.
- "Steel" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +4 in each melee style.
- "Black" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +5 in each melee style.
- "Mithril" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +6 in each melee style.
- "Adamantite" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +7 in each melee style.
- "Rune" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +8 in each melee style.
- "Dragon" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +9 in each melee style.
- "Barrows" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +12 in each melee style.
- Defenders are weapons which can be wielded in the shield slot and provide different attack bonuses depending on the type of metal.
- A player's maximum stab bonus is +180.
- A player's maximum slash bonus is +191.
- A player's maximum crush bonus is +214.
Levels needed to wield different types of weapons are as follows (members item are listed in italics):
|Tiedosto:Bronze Scimitar.PNG||Bronze||1||Apart from the "fun" weapons (such as butterfly net and flowers), bronze weapons are the weakest weapons in all of RuneScape one may also wield the Obsidian maul with level one attack and 60 strength.|
|Tiedosto:Iron scimitar.PNG||Iron||1||Iron weapons are stronger than bronze weapons.|
|Tiedosto:Steel scimitar.PNG||Steel||5||Steel weapons are stronger than iron weapons.|
|Tiedosto:Black scimitar.PNG||Black||10||Black weapons are stronger than steel weapons. (Black weapons cannot be made with the smithing skill)|
|White||10||White weapons have the same attack bonus as Black weapons, but add to your Prayer bonus (the bonus depends on the weapon). White weapons require the Wanted! quest and a certain Knight ranking to purchase from Sir Vyvin.|
|Tiedosto:Mithril scimitar.PNG||Mithril||20||Mithril weapons are stronger than black weapons.|
|Corrupt Ancient Warriors' Equipment||20||Corrupt Ancient Warriors' Equipment is currently the strongest set of melee equipment in the game. These corrupt weapons have the same stats as regular Ancient Warriors' Equipment. They will disappear after fifteen minutes of wearing, but require a lower level (20) requirement than the regular versions.|
|Tiedosto:Adamantite scimitar.PNG||Adamant||30||Adamant weapons are stronger than mithril weapons.|
|Tiedosto:New Rune Scimitar.png||Rune||40||Rune weapons are stronger than adamant weapons and are also the strongest weapons free players can wield, not counting Corrupt dragon (see below).|
|Tiedosto:Sacred clay scimitar.png||Sacred Clay||40||Only available as a Scimitar. Can only by wielded by members. Can grant double combat experience.|
|Tiedosto:Granite mace inv.png||Granite||50||Granite weapons are limited to the Granite maul and Granite mace. Granite can only be wielded by members. Granite weapons also have very high crush bonuses, but little or no stab and slash.|
|Tiedosto:TokTz-Xil-Ak.png||Obsidian||60||Obsidian weapons are stronger than rune weapons. Obsidian can only be wielded by members.|
|Tiedosto:New Dragon Scimitar.png||Dragon||60||Dragon weapons are stronger than rune weapons. All offer a special attack, it is believed by some lower levels that all Dragon weapons special attacks offer a higher hit. This is NOT true. To understand what their special attacks perform please refer to the item in question. Dragon can only be wielded by members.|
|Tiedosto:CorruptScimitar.png||Corrupt dragon||60||Corrupt Dragon weapons are stronger than rune weapons. They provide the same bonuses as normal Dragon equipment, and can be wielded by all players (but only members can use their special attacks). These weapons will disappear after 30 minutes of the first time they are equipped, unless put in a bank which "freezes" the countdown, but does not reset it (on both PvP and non-PvP worlds). They are generally more expensive than normal dragon weapons, so most member players decide not to buy them.|
|Tiedosto:Dharok's greataxe.png||Barrows and Whip||70||Barrows is the third strongest set of melee equipment in the game. Barrows can only be wielded by members. Each set of Barrows items (e.g. all of Verac the Defiled's armour plus his flail) give a special set effect that takes place as long as the full set is worn.|
|Tiedosto:Saradomin-godsword-inv.png||Godsword||75||The Godsword is the most powerful non-degrading weapon in the game. It was released with the God Wars Dungeon.|
|Tiedosto:Vesta's-longsword-inv.png||Ancient Warriors' Equipment||78||Ancient Warriors' Equipment is currently the second strongest set of melee equipment in the game. The regular (non-corrupt) sets will disappear after one hour of combat (not wearing), but require a higher level (78) requirement than the corrupt versions. Also, only the non-corrupt versions have a special attack.|
|Tiedosto:Chaotic rapier.png||Chaotic Weapons||80||Requiring an attack level of 80 these weapons are the highest possible attack level needed to wield any weapon.(Outside of Dungeoneering) They are arguably the most difficult weapons to get too. Seeing as they cost 200k Dungeoneering tokens, which requires at least 2 million dungeoneering experience. These weapons DO NOT have special attacks. The Chaotic Maul has a greater strength bonus than the godswords, and there is heated debate on if this will be a greater KO weapon. (The Armadyl Godsword will hit higher with its special, despite the lower strength bonus)|
There are also many other miscellaneous weapons all over RuneScape which do not fit into any particular category. They are often quest rewards or rare drops from monsters. They include Keris, Balmung and the Abyssal Whip.
Best Stab AttackMuokkaa
Best Stab Attack Without PvP ArmourMuokkaa
Best Slash AttackMuokkaa
Best Slash Attack Without PvP ArmourMuokkaa
Best Crush AttackMuokkaa
Best Crush Attack Without PvP ArmourMuokkaa
Other than the first three prayers listed, all of these boosts are members only.
- Attack potion - Boosts attack level by 15%; amount depends on the player's attack level.
- Combat potion - Boosts attack level by 3 to 12; amount depends on the player's attack level. It also boosts Strength at the same time.
- Super attack potion - Boosts attack level by 20%; amount depends on the player's attack level.
- Extreme attack - Boosts attack by 5-26 levels, depending on your attack level. This item cannot be traded.
- Overload - Has the same effect as extreme attack, without your attack level decreasing for the five minutes the potion is in effect for. Also boosts to strength, defence, magic, and ranged. This item cannot be traded.
- Zamorak brew - Boosts attack level by 25%; amount depends on the player's attack level.
- Prayer - Clarity of Thought, Improved Reflexes, Incredible Reflexes, Chivalry and Piety boosts a player's attack level by 5%, 10%, 15%, 15% and 20% respectively.
- Ancient Curses - Leech Attack and Turmoil boosts a player's attack level by 5%, then up to 10% after time, and 15% + 10% of the opponent's level respectively.
- Black mask/Slayer helmet - When equipped, it boosts Attack and Strength level by 15%; amount depends on the player's attack level. The bonus only applies while fighting monsters that have been assigned to you by a Slayer Master. The bonus does not stack with the Salve amulet or the Salve amulet (e).
- Salve amulet - This amulet is a reward from the Haunted Mine quest. It boosts attack and strength by 15% against undead monsters. The enhanced Salve amulet (e) gives a 20% boost against undead monsters, and is obtained by completing The Lair of Tarn Razorlor miniquest. Neither stacks with a Black mask/Slayer helmet.
- Cup of tea - Temporarily boosts attack by 3.
- Ruby Harvest - When used on another player in a multi-combat zone, it increases that player's attack by 20%.
The maximum boost in Attack can be achieved by using a Extreme attack or Overload +26%), the Turmoil Curse (+29% at maximum), with an additional boost from the Salve amulet (e) (+20%) when fighting undead monsters, adding up for a total of 90% boost in Attack.